March 14 - 9:24 am
Dear SLI employee, clients, parents, families, staff and stakeholders,
First, there are no known COVID-19 positive tests or reports of concerns of anything similar as of now.
I am sharing this information with all stakeholders in an effort to ease concerns and keep communication lines open for all who are concerned with the health of the SLI family.
Our efforts are designed to be proactive rather than reactive and to do all we can to protect the health and safety of those we serve, their families and loved ones and our employees. I understand that the situation is fluid and changing by the hour and this can be frustrating. However, if we all work together, we can be hopeful that the spread of this virus will not impact our SLI community.
I shared with SLI employees, board of directors, the Shawnee County CDDO and KDADS, in an earlier email today, the situation with the COVID-19 is rapidly changing, we are monitoring closely and we are prepared to adjust. After considering Kansas Department of Health and Environment news conference and the U.S. President’s news conference declaring a national emergency along with the fact that all Shawnee County schools are closed, I am implementing next steps of our infectious disease plan. The plan is attached for your review. Effective immediately and until further notice:
- All SLI employees are to follow the infectious disease plan related to proper hygiene.
- All SLI owned homes and facilities will be restricting all visitors. Parents, immediate family members and guardians should call ahead to visit and not have any symptoms, any reason to believe they may have been exposed to the virus, not have traveled out of state or country in the last 14 days. Call staff at the home where your loved one lives prior to visiting. Staff may ask a serious of questions related to screening to ensure the health and safety of our clients, staff and visitors. Checklists will be in place asap at each home for signing in and out and must be adhered to in their entirety.
- A 14-day supply of groceries is to be maintained at each home.
- All medications should be counted immediately by staff at each home and orders shall be made immediately for additional medication needs.
- Posters are to be placed at each entry of each home and other facility owned by SLI that notes the restriction of visitors.
- Clients are not to be taken out in large groups (100 or more) and ALL activity, no matter the size, should be limited and social distancing should be practiced.
- Additional supplies of gloves, masks and gowns have been purchased and have been or will be distributed immediately as needed and through staff reporting.
- Program Directors and COO will begin preparations to serve all clients at home 24/7 until further notice. Final preparations and fully serving all clients from their homes shall take effect by March 18 at 8:00am. SLI reserves the right to move individuals, support self-quarantine if needed and consolidate homes if it should become necessary. This information will be communicated should it become necessary to implement.
- Administrative staff who work in the office should still report into work as normal, unless ill or there is reason to believe there has been exposure to a person who has tested positive for the virus.
- All meetings shall be held by teleconference or postponed as is possible.
We are all in this together and it is imperative that we maintain open communication and partnerships to ensure the safety and health of the entire SLI family. On behalf of the SLI board of directors, employees and clients, we thank you for your support during this difficult time.
SLI & FSLI President/CEO