March 18th COVID-19 Update
March 18 - 6:53 am
To: SLI clients, parents, families, guardians, employees and stakeholders
Good morning to all.
Yesterday, late afternoon, we received much awaited communication from the Kansas Department of Aging and Disability Services. The measures and guidelines don’t vary from the plans that we already have in place and the actions we have already taken.
As posted and emailed previously:
- All SLI owned homes are restricting ALL visitors with the exception of immediate family and guardians who have not traveled outside of the state/country since March 1 and do not have any symptoms, fever or reason to believe they have been exposed to COVID-19, influenza or pneumonia or other contagious illness.
- The office and Community Integration Program (day service) is closed to ALL visitors and is minimally staffed. All administrative personnel are enabled to work remotely and/or have been given assignments to assist out in the homes.
- All meetings that need to take place are being conducted through teleconference.
- Skype has been enabled so that every single employee at SLI has access to utilize this on their phones for meetings and for immediate family and guardians to visit with their loved ones virtually.
- We are following all Shawnee County Health Department and CDC requirements and guidelines.
Daily monitoring includes but is not limited to:
- Client's overall health, any symptoms and fever. Every potential symptom reported to primary care physician and we are following their instructions for each person served that is their patient. (Formal tracking completed daily)
- Employee health, any symptoms and fever. Employees are self-monitoring and are not to report to work at homes if displaying any symptoms, fever or possible exposure as defined by Shawnee County Health Department. (Formal tracking completed daily)
- Grocery supply – groceries are being ordered online and staff are utilizing drive-thru pick up. The ordering has been set up for weekly pickups and will be automatic.
- Other supplies such as cleaning products, paper towels, toilet paper, etc. are being centrally ordered and searched for by administrative personnel throughout the city on a regular schedule.
- Personal Protective Equipment – every home and vehicle has these supplies currently and we are monitoring all online sites and locations for central ordering. Most of these items are out of stock with every single vendor at this time. While we currently have enough, we are monitoring very closely.
- Systems for ensuring day to day business operations continue.
- Client medications.
We have distributed booklets for employees to reference in order to explain the situation in an understandable manner to our clients.
We encourage all employees in SLI homes to be hyper mindful of “cabin fever.” We encourage keeping blinds and curtains open during daylight hours, taking a car/van ride to get out of the house and see some other scenery, utilize their home’s outdoor space when weather permits, and maintaining schedules, structure and activities in the home as much as possible.
We will continue to post any new updates/news through email, SLI website, SLI Facebook and SLI Twitter. Please monitor all of these communications as you can and pass on information to your family and friends who may have an interest or concern.
Please refer to previous emails and posts, titled COVID-19 Update, for complete details and full updates.
I will continue to post updates as necessary and should changes occur to current practices or plans.
I want to thank all of our clients, parents, families, guardians, employees, board of directors and stakeholders for your support, understanding, hard work, cooperation and words of encouragement.
Wishing you all good health,
Lisa Jackson, SLI & FSLI President/CEO